Skip to main content

Google Alert Week in Review #7

An interesting article that came across my Google Alerts this week from The Times Free Press entitled, "Greeting Cards Help to Preserve Family History," describes a scene wherein a family learns about the history of their grandparents' love through asking a simple question at the bedside of their dieing grandmother, an interaction which then caused entrepreneur Christopher Cummings to launch a new tech start up aimed at preserving our familial legacies. The company, greetingStory, is connected to Cummings' original digital storytelling company, PassItDown, but it relies on physical, "old-fashioned" greeting cards with images and prompts on them to gather handwritten information from older relatives, which can then be preserved and displayed digitally.

The whole idea answers a question I've sometimes pondered over myself as I've watched our world grow increasingly digital and as a natural consequence shed many of its traditional physical artifacts. I recall rummaging through old boxes of photos, watching old videos and reading old journals to learn about my family's past as I was growing up. It was a favorite pastime of mine at a certain age, and the #1 way I learned about where I came from.  However, in a world where all of our photos are only stored digitally and where our videos are kept anywhere but a cloud server that is lost as soon as we choose not to patronize Apple anymore, how will our offspring look back in time at what our lives used to be like?  What artifacts will be available to them?  GreetingStory and PassItDown seem to me a great way of preserving these things in both physical and digital form, so that they will not necessarily be lost with the passing of time and fickle nature of a capitalistic society.

As for educational applications, I could see these services being used as a great means of developing students' writing skills while allowing them to reflect on their personal, familial and cultural identities.  These services could be used as a way for students to involve their parents and extended relatives in the educational process in a very meaningful and important way, and at the end of the project they would have not only gained very valuable experience in written expression, they would have created an artifact that could serve and honor the family's legacy for many years to come.

Comments

  1. This sounds like such a cool project! My grandmother gave me a book for Christmas a few years ago called "Grandmom's memories to her grandchild" that is filled with information about her life. It was really cool and I loved reading through it and learning more about her life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great project! We had something a bit similar, it was called the SMILE initiative. We had all the students create greeting cards and cards that were made to aim senior citizens smile, and they were sent to a local nursing home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Google Alert Week in Review #8

I was intrigued by an article that came across in my Google alerts this week entitled, " Best language apps to help travellers click with locals" .  I'm often intrigued by the ways in which people attempt to learn various topics "in the real world" (language of course being one of them) as opposed to how they have been traditionally  approached in school.  I find that even tech-based teaching tools aimed at the same end goal (say, learning a new language) often vary in interesting ways based on whether or not they've been designed for the traditional educational setting or not.  Since I explored a new app being billed as a strong classroom language learning tool last week (Mondly) I thought this list might provide some interesting contrast. However, after reading the article I found that only the first app on the list, which I explain below, is solely designed for outside-of-the-classroom use, while the others are squarely at home inside the classroom.   T...

Google Alert Week in Review #2

The highlight of this week's Google alert daily digests for me was an article from The News Herald about a personalized learning symposium taking place in Northeast Ohio this week. The article itself was just your basic "5W" piece on the event itself, but it linked back to an earlier piece in Education Week that attempted to define the key traits of personalized learning, and it was that article that I found quite thought provoking. According to the Education Week piece, personalized learning is competency-based and flexible while making some use of both personalized learning pathways and learner profiles. Each of these facets represents some serious pedagogical questions that I would be willing to wager most educators (if they were being completely honest) would struggle to answer.  I could devote and entire blog post to each of these facets  (Maybe in future weeks?) but today I'd like to focus on the competency-based piece. About the ONLY place in my district ...

Google Alert Week in Review #6

An interesting article that came through via my google alerts this week was a rundown of the 2107 FBStarts Apps of they Year.  If you are unfamiliar, FBStart is Facebook's program for assisting promising new app developers in getting their ideas off the ground.  A number of the apps featured in the article tied right into the mobile learning theme of this week's unit.  The FBstart Global App of the Year is called, "SoloLearn," and is designed to help beginners learn how to code. I've already earmarked it as a potential gem for my district's coding initiative. The app is "gamified," in that its learning experiences are couched in a gaming environment.  Even more in-tune with our current focus though was the Europe, Middle East and Africa app of the Year winner: Mondly.  Mondly is a language-learning app (or rather, a whole suite of apps) that bills itself as, " the first company to launch a virtual reality experience for learning langu...