Skip to main content

Google Alert Week in Review #4

The most interesting piece to come across my google alert digests this week was a Master's Thesis entitled, “Put it in your Story”: Digital Storytelling in Instagram and Snapchat Stories" in which the author explores the narrative structure and patterns of digital stories created through Snapchat and Instagram.  The author identifies several typical story topics, including eating, animals, people, self-portraits, environment, interacting, and demonstrating emotions.  When I read through this list, I immediately thought of how these basic categories cover much of what constitutes an individual's culture, and as such reflect the societal culture in which the stories are created.  If this is true, then to my mind this paper lends even more credence to the idea of using digital storytelling in the L2 classroom, since it not only represents an effective way to explore cultural identity but one that is organic to the lifestyles of many of our socially-connected students.

Further on, the paper describes the ways in which the stories are created, via images and photos, text, video, emoji, doodles, instant information and filters. While much of the academic digital storytelling I've experienced has dealt with a number of those same elements, I wonder how much more engaging it might be for students if things like emojis, doodle and filters were also presented as optional parts of the creation process?  Of course some "judicial oversight" on the part of the teacher would be needed or our L2 students' genuine language learning experience might be thwarted by too heavy a reliance on pictograms (emojis) but still I believe adding in these additional elements could cause some students to invest themselves more genuinely in the act of expression.

All in all, this paper reminded me that any time we can easily add more layers of choice both in terms of content and process, we stand a greater chance of students engaging meaningfully in their learning.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading about the article that came up in your Google Alerts, especially since our assignment to create a digital story is my first experience using this technology tool. From the readings and more research I've done on digital stories I agree that the more 'layers' we can have students add the more benefits they receive from it. This is why I feel that throughout the process, feedback and revision are critical as it will keep the students thinking and expanding on their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great article to further the positives that Digital Storytelling can bring to the L2 classroom. I think this or an article like it popped on my alerts too, but I didn’t get a chance to write one on mine. I like though that there are a ton of articles and resources to help teachers introduce DS into their classroom and give them encouragement to do so. I too would worry about an overreliance on emojis or other media in the DS creation. If done for a grade, perhaps in a rubric for students, it could state how many of each they could use without losing any credit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Google Alert Week in Review #8

I was intrigued by an article that came across in my Google alerts this week entitled, " Best language apps to help travellers click with locals" .  I'm often intrigued by the ways in which people attempt to learn various topics "in the real world" (language of course being one of them) as opposed to how they have been traditionally  approached in school.  I find that even tech-based teaching tools aimed at the same end goal (say, learning a new language) often vary in interesting ways based on whether or not they've been designed for the traditional educational setting or not.  Since I explored a new app being billed as a strong classroom language learning tool last week (Mondly) I thought this list might provide some interesting contrast. However, after reading the article I found that only the first app on the list, which I explain below, is solely designed for outside-of-the-classroom use, while the others are squarely at home inside the classroom.   T...

Google Alert Week in Review #2

The highlight of this week's Google alert daily digests for me was an article from The News Herald about a personalized learning symposium taking place in Northeast Ohio this week. The article itself was just your basic "5W" piece on the event itself, but it linked back to an earlier piece in Education Week that attempted to define the key traits of personalized learning, and it was that article that I found quite thought provoking. According to the Education Week piece, personalized learning is competency-based and flexible while making some use of both personalized learning pathways and learner profiles. Each of these facets represents some serious pedagogical questions that I would be willing to wager most educators (if they were being completely honest) would struggle to answer.  I could devote and entire blog post to each of these facets  (Maybe in future weeks?) but today I'd like to focus on the competency-based piece. About the ONLY place in my district ...

Google Alert Week in Review #6

An interesting article that came through via my google alerts this week was a rundown of the 2107 FBStarts Apps of they Year.  If you are unfamiliar, FBStart is Facebook's program for assisting promising new app developers in getting their ideas off the ground.  A number of the apps featured in the article tied right into the mobile learning theme of this week's unit.  The FBstart Global App of the Year is called, "SoloLearn," and is designed to help beginners learn how to code. I've already earmarked it as a potential gem for my district's coding initiative. The app is "gamified," in that its learning experiences are couched in a gaming environment.  Even more in-tune with our current focus though was the Europe, Middle East and Africa app of the Year winner: Mondly.  Mondly is a language-learning app (or rather, a whole suite of apps) that bills itself as, " the first company to launch a virtual reality experience for learning langu...