Skip to main content

Google Alert Week in Review #8

I was intrigued by an article that came across in my Google alerts this week entitled, "Best language apps to help travellers click with locals".  I'm often intrigued by the ways in which people attempt to learn various topics "in the real world" (language of course being one of them) as opposed to how they have been traditionally approached in school.  I find that even tech-based teaching tools aimed at the same end goal (say, learning a new language) often vary in interesting ways based on whether or not they've been designed for the traditional educational setting or not.  Since I explored a new app being billed as a strong classroom language learning tool last week (Mondly) I thought this list might provide some interesting contrast. However, after reading the article I found that only the first app on the list, which I explain below, is solely designed for outside-of-the-classroom use, while the others are squarely at home inside the classroom. 
The first app that is covered in the article is Drops.  This app is essentially aimed at giving people the bare essentials they need to "survive" in a foreign country.  It basically boils down to techy drill-and-kill flashcards, which are admittedly noun-heavy.  Useful as a last minute crunch before the plane lands perhaps, but not so much for the L2 classroom, I don't believe.

The second app covered in the article, Busuu, I found much more interesting.  This was by far the gem of the list. As the article explains, it's basically like app-based pen pals.  The user can complete practice exercises in a given language and then have them "graded" by native speaking students, so long as they then return the favor for people practicing their native tongue.  I think that this concept could be incredibly engaging and rewarding for L2 students, who I know would feel incredibly proud of their ability to "put on the teacher hat" for a change and help people learn in their native tongue as opposed to always being on the other end of things.  This concept dovetails nicely with the information we reviewed in this week's readings about the social benefits of game-based learning.  An app that would allow students to form a sort of partnership with a students from another part of the world could potentially give them an added incentive for learning the language as it would be linked to this new relationship.

The only downfall of this app is that it's a freemium model that really does require one to make the purchase(s) for long-term use, but it is not prohibitively expensive, so in a one-to-one environment where monies formerly spent on hard-copy textbooks are being diverted to tech-based solutions, this could absolutely be a viable option.

I'm so intrigued by this that I've emailed both the foreign-language and ESOL teachers in my High and Middle schools to see if any of them are interested in giving it a go with a small group for the upcoming school year.  Several of them have had great success with Duolingo in the past (which, incidentally, is also covered in the article I read this week) so I am hopeful that they'll be willing to take the plunge with me on this one as well!

Comments

  1. I love to travel and have been blessed to have had the opportunity to travel to many different places. Figuring out different phrases I will need is one of my favorite ways to prepare for a trip! I always love trying to have a conversation with locals. I have never heard of Busuu before but it sounds quite interesting! It is so cool that the app connects people and has them help each other learn the language. I could see students being very engaged in this type of learning because of the relational aspect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Google Alert Week in Review #2

The highlight of this week's Google alert daily digests for me was an article from The News Herald about a personalized learning symposium taking place in Northeast Ohio this week. The article itself was just your basic "5W" piece on the event itself, but it linked back to an earlier piece in Education Week that attempted to define the key traits of personalized learning, and it was that article that I found quite thought provoking. According to the Education Week piece, personalized learning is competency-based and flexible while making some use of both personalized learning pathways and learner profiles. Each of these facets represents some serious pedagogical questions that I would be willing to wager most educators (if they were being completely honest) would struggle to answer.  I could devote and entire blog post to each of these facets  (Maybe in future weeks?) but today I'd like to focus on the competency-based piece. About the ONLY place in my district ...

Google Alert Week in Review #6

An interesting article that came through via my google alerts this week was a rundown of the 2107 FBStarts Apps of they Year.  If you are unfamiliar, FBStart is Facebook's program for assisting promising new app developers in getting their ideas off the ground.  A number of the apps featured in the article tied right into the mobile learning theme of this week's unit.  The FBstart Global App of the Year is called, "SoloLearn," and is designed to help beginners learn how to code. I've already earmarked it as a potential gem for my district's coding initiative. The app is "gamified," in that its learning experiences are couched in a gaming environment.  Even more in-tune with our current focus though was the Europe, Middle East and Africa app of the Year winner: Mondly.  Mondly is a language-learning app (or rather, a whole suite of apps) that bills itself as, " the first company to launch a virtual reality experience for learning langu...