Skip to main content

Google Alert Week in Review #6

An interesting article that came through via my google alerts this week was a rundown of the 2107 FBStarts Apps of they Year. If you are unfamiliar, FBStart is Facebook's program for assisting promising new app developers in getting their ideas off the ground.  A number of the apps featured in the article tied right into the mobile learning theme of this week's unit.  The FBstart Global App of the Year is called, "SoloLearn," and is designed to help beginners learn how to code. I've already earmarked it as a potential gem for my district's coding initiative. The app is "gamified," in that its learning experiences are couched in a gaming environment. 


Even more in-tune with our current focus though was the Europe, Middle East and Africa app of the Year winner: Mondly.  Mondly is a language-learning app (or rather, a whole suite of apps) that bills itself as, "the first company to launch a virtual reality experience for learning languages featuring speech recognition and chat bot technology."  There is a Mondly app for a huge number of different languages, including American English, and the developers explain the keys to its success are the high-quality professional voices, sate-of-the-art speech recognition and focus on useful and productive language for "real situations."  I downloaded the Spanish version to explore a little bit and after 20 minutes or so of thoroughly enjoying myself, I finally came back to finish up this post!  If you are at all interested in employing mobile tech in your ESL classroom, I strongly urge you to explore Mondly if you haven’t yet.  It is WELL worth your time.  Full disclosure, there are some in-app purchases here, but they are not necessary to get started!

Comments

  1. SoloLearn is a great way to spark interest in coding and have students learn some basics of coding! I have never heard of Mondly before but I will have to download it and check it out! I am surprised with the number of students in my district that don't know much English and just continually get passed through the system. This app could potentially really help them out - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to check out Mondly. I have used Duolingo and recommend it to my students, but Mondly seems even better with the voice recognition and the chat-bot. My Newcomer students really enjoy having ways to practice English on their own outside of the classroom. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, really like the concept behind Mondly and the real world situational application to this language app. It goes well beyond memorizing or using it as a dictionary. There are so many emerging language tools being developed I feel it will get to a point where we will have real time personal translators in our pockets.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Google Alert Week in Review #8

I was intrigued by an article that came across in my Google alerts this week entitled, " Best language apps to help travellers click with locals" .  I'm often intrigued by the ways in which people attempt to learn various topics "in the real world" (language of course being one of them) as opposed to how they have been traditionally  approached in school.  I find that even tech-based teaching tools aimed at the same end goal (say, learning a new language) often vary in interesting ways based on whether or not they've been designed for the traditional educational setting or not.  Since I explored a new app being billed as a strong classroom language learning tool last week (Mondly) I thought this list might provide some interesting contrast. However, after reading the article I found that only the first app on the list, which I explain below, is solely designed for outside-of-the-classroom use, while the others are squarely at home inside the classroom.   T...

Google Alert Week in Review #2

The highlight of this week's Google alert daily digests for me was an article from The News Herald about a personalized learning symposium taking place in Northeast Ohio this week. The article itself was just your basic "5W" piece on the event itself, but it linked back to an earlier piece in Education Week that attempted to define the key traits of personalized learning, and it was that article that I found quite thought provoking. According to the Education Week piece, personalized learning is competency-based and flexible while making some use of both personalized learning pathways and learner profiles. Each of these facets represents some serious pedagogical questions that I would be willing to wager most educators (if they were being completely honest) would struggle to answer.  I could devote and entire blog post to each of these facets  (Maybe in future weeks?) but today I'd like to focus on the competency-based piece. About the ONLY place in my district ...